Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aliomari17  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2017 6:08:32 PM(UTC)
aliomari17

Groups: Forum Member
Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
So this is a frustrating topic and I'm sure I'm not the only one that's experienced this but so far coming back to the league there's been multiple teams that are holding the ball and not making any attempts to score in the second half. This is understandable when there's let's say 2 or 3 minutes on the clock. Problem is we have teams that are holding the ball with 5-10 minutes on the clock. I understand wanting to win, but what about wanting to play the game? Every team makes the playoffs so why hold the ball instead of playing the game. It's a recreational league and it takes the fun out of it for people that actually want to play.

Maybe this is something to look at going forward in the following seasons, implementing some sort of shot clock or penalty for not being offensive with the ball with 10 minutes on the clock. I mean our game this week even the ref had to say play some basketball.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
ef_128  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2017 8:49:19 PM(UTC)
ef_128

Groups: Forum Moderator, Website Administration

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
1- in high school, we went into the county tournament as the #16 seed .. had to play the #1 seed round one .. we were up by like 8pts in the the 4th quarter .. we held the ball for the entire 8 minute quarter .. the crowd boo'd us .. but we went home winners

2- definitely annoying and i see where you are coming from .. but i can also see from the other side .. if i had to hold the ball to ensure a win, i would .. regular season or playoffs

3- as far as a shot clock .. its a good idea and we have looked into it before .. but unfortunately, its not feasible for us right now .. for legit shot clocks, youd need 2 additional people and 2 shot clocks .. they make scoreboards with shot clocks in them which they use in another league im in, but they always mess it up .. ive also seen refs use 30 second marks in the last few minutes of games as a shot clock, but that always is subjective/suspect

we're always up for suggestions and new ideas to better the league
aliomari17  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2017 9:01:23 PM(UTC)
aliomari17

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
In response Ed
1- County tournament and rec league are different competitive levels.
2 - it's understandable in the last few minutes of the game just not when there's 5-10 min on the clock.
3 - I think letting the refs influence the gameplay might help. I haven't seen the referees being biased at all they've done very well. Maybe penalizing teams that aren't attempting to be offensive after 30-45 seconds would be ideal.

Interested in other players thoughts.
AR  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 6:02:20 AM(UTC)
AR

a shot clock would be awesome to have, though it would definitely require at least one more "ref" to manage just that aspect of the game and nothing else.
Abdul-Rahman, #3
Himey  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 1:17:57 PM(UTC)
Himey

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
aliomari17 wrote:
Problem is we have teams that are holding the ball with 5-10 minutes on the clock. I understand wanting to win, but what about wanting to play the game? Every team makes the playoffs so why hold the ball instead of playing the game. It's a recreational league and it takes the fun out of it for people that actually want to play.

Maybe this is something to look at going forward in the following seasons, implementing some sort of shot clock or penalty for not being offensive with the ball with 10 minutes on the clock. I mean our game this week even the ref had to say play some basketball.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

This seems to be an outlier... cant believe anyone would start that process with 10 minutes left in the game. Ban

Ibrahim Omar
MB Commissioner
commissioner@muslimbasketball.org
mastaweiss  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 6:34:26 PM(UTC)
mastaweiss

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I see why ali is upset, definitely sucks and i somewhat agree, however, it's just a tactic to get the dub. I have actually told my team before to start holding the ball even as early as eight minutes left. Sometimes they don't agree but it's the right move. It's all working towards the goal of winning, better seed, advancing, etc. Sometimes momentum is working against us and we need to counteract it. I also believe if you are in the position to afford to kill time, you have earned it by being that team in that position. I would not object to a shot clock though.